The garden contains eight plaques that offer a brief history of Methodism, beginning with John and Charles Wesley and ending with historical highlights of the Brighton church. The garden, near the main entrance to the church, also contains a retired church bell, a peace poll, and a seating area.
Rev. Suzy Hutchison and Dr. Verne Hoshal designed the garden, Dr. Hoshal wrote the historical information contained on the plaques. Davis Memorial Funds, as well as funds in the memory of other members of Brighton First, were used to complete the garden.
The John A. Baughman Award is named for a prominent founder of Methodist churches in Michigan during the nineteenth century. He was from Ohio and visited the far off wilderness of southeastern Michigan in 1825. Baughman traveled as a "circuit rider", founding and serving churches from Houghton to Milford to Dexter, from Flint to Detroit to Adrian. In his decades of service as a pastor he served 43 churches.
At Brighton First, we honor our past, and we build on the foundation laid by faithful leaders and congregations who have come before us. It is our desire that as we serve in the present and plan for the future that we share the common mission to bring people to know Jesus Christ.
Note: The history garden is not only a place for rest, reflection and learning;
it is also a Pokemon Stop!