Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Power of Connection Cards

I was moved by a story that Karen, a member of our welcome ministry, shared with me recently. It concerns the power of our Sunday morning Connection Cards. Every attendee at Brighton First receives a Connection Card when they enter the sanctuary. Our worship hosts ask that all fill out the cards each week. Approximately 40 -50% of attendees complete the cards.

We would like the return rate to be higher. I know that some feel their participation is redundant. "The church already knows all my contact information. I don't need to fill out a card." However, Karen demonstrated why filling out a card, as a model for others in worship, can make a difference in growing disciples for Jesus Christ.

Here's a portion of her story:
Because Carol faithfully fills out her Connection Card each week, Marie filled hers out when she came to visit. This allowed me to write her cards of welcome, which she appreciated so much that she asked Carol to introduce us the next time she visited. Now I get hugs every week and "I love yous," too. 
Because Carol and Marie faithfully fill out their Connection Cards, Kim filled out hers when she came to visit. This allowed Pastor Sherry to send her welcoming emails which helped her connect to Brighton First. Carol and Marie introduced me to Kim and now I am able to connect with her, as well. Kim's grandmother was an avid quilter and Kim wanted the fabric to be put to good use and thought of the Prayers and Squares quilt ministry. Today, she saw the musical prints she donated on a prayer quilt and was moved to tears.
Because Carol, Marie, and Kim faithfully fill out their Connection Cards, Karyn filled out her Connection Card without hesitation, which allowed me to send her a card of welcome.
After worship today, Carol, Marie, Kim, Karyn, and I sat around a table in the Community Room, eating a snack and sharing pieces of the stories of our lives. It was wonderful. I felt blessed to sit and share with these incredible women.  
Completing the Connection Card is a simple act of service. One that is done for others just as much, if not more, than yourself. How did I arrive at that table on this day? It all happened because Carol Baker faithfully fills out her Connection Card each week.
Thank you Karen for your ministry and thank you to all who serve by filling out your Connection Cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment