Sunday, September 17, 2017

Disciple Bible Study Is Back at Brighton First

This fall I am leading a Disciple: Fast Track class with Rev. Bob Fuchs. The class is a 12-week study of the Old Testament. It’s been a few years since I’ve had the opportunity to join with others in a Disciple study and I am excited about what lies ahead. A few days ago, I planned for the introductory class session and began the daily Bible readings. I am delighted to join, once again, this disciplined journey through scripture.
 
I led my first Disciple Bible Study in 1998. Back in those days, study facilitators were required to attend a two-day training. Study participants committed to 34 weekly sessions and read over 80% of the Bible. I looked forward to the weekly discussions and the strong relationships built through 2 ½ hour study sessions.

Over the last 20 years it has been my privilege to lead Disciple at three churches and to watch, through the study, many congregation members deepen their commitment to discipleship and their faith practices. I have witnessed Disciple Bible Study participants go on to be leaders in the church. A few have answered a call to professional ministry.

Disciple, published by Abingdon Press, has proven to be a life-changing program for thousands through the years. The editors of Disciple have taken note of the decline in number of people who feel they have the time to make the 34-session commitment. In response, Abingdon Press has published a “fast track” version of Disciple. The first two twelve-week courses are a survey of the Old Testament and New Testament. Session time has been reduced to 1 ½ hours.

Disciple: Fast Track uses the Common English Bible
translation. I find this Bible translation, published in
2011, comfortable and refreshing.
Brighton First’s Director of Discipleship, Rev. Bob Fuchs, asked me to lead the course. Bob, a Disciple Bible Study “graduate”, understands the power of the course and has sought a way to invite more people into the experience. Bob’s leadership in bringing this new format of Disciple to our faith community reflects our mission to lead people to know, love and serve God.


I appreciate that the weekly format is the same as the beloved study that I have led many times. It is my prayer that the study, even in its abbreviated version, will help believers to grow in discipleship and in relationship with one another. I am so looking forward to reading and discussing the Bible on a weekly basis with the faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment